Friday, April 29, 2011

A Suburghian Girl Recipe: Creamy Egg Salad with Capers


What is a girl to do with leftover hard-boiled eggs?  Make a fabulous egg salad, of course! ;)

I started with 6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped coarsely.  Then I added about a 1/2 cup of mayonnaise (made with olive oil). Add more or less mayo , depending on how creamy you prefer your egg salad.  That is the great thing about a recipe like egg salad- it adapts easily to your preference.  Just add a little more or less of something. Or if you really don't like an ingredient, leave it out or substitute something else.  

I then dabbed in about 2 tbsp of whole grain mustard.  I recommend whole grain versus regular mustard for two reasons: the texture it adds to the salad, and whole grain just simply has a much better flavor. 

Finely chop about 2 tsp worth of fresh dill and toss that in!  Chop about a quarter of an onion (red or white) and throw that in to. 

Next I add about 2 tsp of capers.  If capers is a foreign cooking ingredient for you, let me tell you a little bit about them.  Capers are actually the flower buds of the caper bush which are commonly found in the Mediterranean region.  Typically they are pickled or salted.  I used pickled in my recipe. (A-hem, I found my jar of capers at Dellalo's Italian Store in Jeannette. ;) )  Capers add a salty, brininess to any dish.  Because of this, please taste your egg salad before adding any salt to it- It might not need it!

Finally, add a few squeezes of fresh lemon juice.  Add a little pepper
Now mix all the ingredients together.  Taste, and then add salt if you find that it needs it. 

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment