618 South Main Street, Greensburg
You would never guess from the unassuming facade of the building that houses The Headkeeper Tapas Bar that you are in for a culinary treat that you would only expect in the 'Burgh. The Headkeeper offers an intriguing selection of tapas plates that change seasonally, and takes advantage of local offerings as much as possible.
So, let's get to it.
From left to right:
1. We started out with the Flash Fried Mozzarella with a Roasted Red Pepper Vinaigrette. Thick slices of buffalo mozzarella are lightly breaded and fried just until crispy on the outside and slightly warmed on the inside. A hidden surprise of a lovely vinegar cucumber salad is nestled beneath the mozzarella slices.
2. The Headkeeper offers more than 600 bottles of domestic and import craft beers in their wall of coolers. You can browse for a brew to pair with your tapas, and then bring it back to your table where your server will open it and provide you with a glass. You can also create your own six packs to carry home. (There is a $1 discount per bottle for taking home your own hand-selected brews.)
3. By far, one of their tastiest and most popular tapas dishes is the Five Spice Pork Tenderloin Drizzled with Chipotle Beurre Blanc. The tenderloin is cooked perfectly- tender & moist. The five spice rub gives the pork a spicy and sweet crust. The chipotle buerre blanc offers just the right amount of heat to complement the sweetness of the pork.
What you need to know before you go:
- Check the website for hours and directions, but not for menu offerings. The online menu does not seem to get updated too often. Also, their MySpace page has not been updated since April 2010. ;)
- Their tapas are perfect for sharing! Bring a date, a best friend, or an after work crew. We found that 3 tapas was perfect for 2 people. Most of their tapas are priced from $6-$13.
- And for you Big 'Burgh dwellers, this place just might be worth the drive to Suburghia. ;)
For hours and directions, visit below: