123 Shiloh Street, Mount Washington
Being a Suburghia newbie, I really had no expectations about Shiloh Grill when we decided to head there for dinner and a few drinks before a what would be rained out Pirates game. I had purchased a Groupon for the Grill the month before in an attempt to make sure that the husband and I tried someplace new every time we drove into the city. It is easy to become creatures of sustenance comfort, always heading back to your few fave joints when you are only in the 'Burgh a few times a month.
When we first arrived atop Mount Washington and lucked into a parking meter space right in front of the restaurant, we opted to sit on the spacious outdoor deck. That is, until Mother Nature made other plans and we were quickly bolting for the indoor dining room. ;)
So, let's get to it.
From top left, clockwise:
- The first thing that struck me was Shiloh Grill's facetious and very humorous menu listings and descriptions. Even if the food had been sub par (which it was not- thank goodness!), it would have been worth the visit just to browse through the menu. ;) My favorite menu item by far (and only for it's colorful description) is the Roethlisburgher.
- I started with the World Famous Patio Gazpacho. Their gazpacho is fresh, with chunks of crisp veggies (think cucumbers, peppers, and onions) in the broth. It packed just enough spicy heat to not overwhelm the freshness of the gazpacho.
- Next up- Shiloh Grill's new Arugula Steak Salad. Okay, they pretty much had me at arugula and steak. ;) The medium-well grilled steak was sliced over a bed of fresh spinach and arugula and adorned with blue cheese crumbles, radish slices, and pepperoncini's. Divine...
- Ahhhhh.... we were there just in time for their happy hour (5-7pm on the weekdays). Happy hour at Shiloh Grill means half off their draft beers, wings, and their frozen cosmos. The FROZEN COSMOS! Holy libations, was this a wonderful treat for an almost full-time craft beer drinker. Frozen, smooth, tasty, and it packs a punch. This is no frou-frou Cosmopolitan. They are deceptively easy to drink, but those pink martini glasses of frozen happiness sure do sneak up on you. (Not that I know from personal experience or anything... ;) )
What you need to know before you go:
- Bring change for the parking meter! Though I am sure there is free parking somewhere, most parking that I have observed on Mount Washington is metered or valet.
- Try to to head to Shiloh Grill on a Tuesday evening if you happen to be a lover of all things bacon. They serve up FREE bacon baskets at the bar, $1 a basket in the dining room and deck. They also craft a bacon martini to wash down your bacon basket with. ;)
For hours, directions, specials, and menus, visit below: